Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Terry’s Turf Club: A Damn Good Burger


Terry’s Turf Club opened its doors in 2007, and has been serving unique, exceptional burgers to Cincinnati’s Eastside in the time since. The Food Network’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives even did a feature on them in 2010. I’d heard a lot about this restaurant, but for some reason I hadn’t made my way to it. It did not disappoint.

The exterior and interior incorporated an eclectic blend of neon-lit and mechanical signs, which are exhibited throughout. Apparently, the owner has been a sign collector since the 1970’s, and he displayed many of the same signs at his former restaurant (Neon’s).

The interior was a bit cramped, especially with it being a busy evening, but while you are waiting you can order up a pint and take a seat in the lobby to bide the time. The bar featured a few different drafts from breweries around town, including Bad Tom’s Brewery, which we would learn (through our bartender/server) is practically next door. I ended up grabbing some kind of porter, I want to say one of Rhinegeist’s, but I don’t recall the name of it. Fortunately, we only had to wait about ten minutes before a couple of spots opened at the bar and the host offered to seat us there.

The menu had a couple of fascinating options you might not expect from a burger joint, like Foie Gras and Scallops with Lychees, but for my first visit, at least, I knew I had to give their burger a try. There were so many different upgrade options that choosing what to put on mine was difficult. First, you chose your protein. A regular burger, grilled chicken or salmon, or even a large portabella mushroom cap. Then they offered up 12 different cheeses: your basics, such as American or Swiss, and slightly more adventurous options, including Halloumi and Manchego. You could add specific toppings, like Mushrooms, Bacon or Lump Crab and Lobster Cake. Then they had the specialty sauces, including Dilly Blue (crème fraiche, buttermilk, bleu cheese, capers, shallots, dill, pink peppercorns, and lemon zest) and Mango Tequila Jalapeno. I ended up ordering mine with all of the toppings included in the base price (currently $8.95): Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions, and banana peppers, but had the cook grill the onions and peppers. I c
hose to add their “Foghorn Leghorn” sauce, which included garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, sage, thyme, apricot, shallot, onion, and pear balsamic. I also subbed for onion rings at an additional charge ($3.50).

If you love a good burger, you know how difficult it can sometimes be to get it cooked the way you want it. Many places say they cook to order, but it doesn’t always come out that way, even if you send it back. I personally cannot eat a burger if it’s cooked beyond medium. It ruins it for me. I ordered mine medium-rare, and it was absolutely perfect. Thick, juicy, and full of flavor from the spices and sauce. Apparently, they highly recommend you don’t cut into your burger (something about letting too many of its juices out), but I didn’t find it to be an issue at all and my server was very forgiving of my faux pas. It certainly made it much easier to eat, and still deliciously messy. It truly may have been the best burger I’ve ever had.

Apparently, on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Guy Fieri recommended the filet mignon and pork tenderloin chili, so I may have to try it on my next visit. I have also read that the Burgundy Wine w/Mushrooms & Truffles sauce is a fan favorite and it certainly sounds delightful.

I would definitely recommend Terry’s if someone asked me where he or she could find a great burger. The host and bartenders were super friendly and helpful. One even suggested one of two beers for me to enjoy, and the one I chose, Bad Tom’s Fink (a Red Rye), was a good recommendation. It’s not going to be your best bet if you’re looking for something quick or if you’re looking for a quiet evening out, but it is definitely a place you’ll want to experience if you find yourself in Cincinnati. Just keep in mind that price can add up if you’re not careful (all those wonderful upgrades)!


Terry’s Turf Club
4618 Eastern Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45226
(513) 533-4222
Open Wednesday-Sunday at 11 A.M.
Closed Monday and Tuesday

No comments: