Friday, February 9, 2018

12 Resolutions: Better Late, Than Never

I’m ready to blog again. I missed all of January, which is typically considered the time of year when we (at least as far as the United States or any country that celebrates the New Year on January 1st is concerned) come up with our resolutions for the year. What we want to change, add, or subtract. The term resolution really doesn’t end up holding much weight, though. It’s the commitment to not only creating a goal, but also adjusting our lifestyles and habits, which ends up making a permanent difference.

I suspect that’s why a lot of people fail to uphold their resolutions throughout the year. It’s not always easy to make permanent changes, whether positive or negative ones. Our brains tend to be creatures of habit, preferring to hold onto the status quo, even if it doesn’t always serve us the way we would like it to. It likes what it knows.

I mentioned in my last post that I’m on Part 2 of my weight loss goal this year, and I’m finally making a commitment to getting out of debt for good. I will make things official; however, mainly so I can hold myself accountable down the line. So here are my 2018 “resolutions” (in no special order):

1. Make writing a daily habit.
2. Lose more weight, and become stronger and fitter than ever before in the process.
3. Stick to my “EveryDollar” style budget, and pay off as much of my credit card debt as possible.
4. Improve my self-confidence in all aspects of my life.
5. Find a job that makes me feel valued and pays me what I’m worth.
6. Socialize more and make my own friends.
7. Improve my cooking skills, as well as my knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits
8. Be more creative through various avenues (painting, papercrafting, etc.).
9. Take 10 or so minutes every day to quiet my mind and let it be at peace; “Meditate.”
10. Learn to be a better communicator, especially in my personal relationships.
11. Try a new restaurant at least once per month (I’ll do a review!) I went to Frida’s in Covington, KY last weekend, but didn’t take any pictures. The Jalapeno margarita was excellent, with just a touch of spice to give it a nice kick! Their tacos were also very good. The highlight was probably the Brussels sprout taco. It was sautéed Brussels sprouts with smoked peanut sauce. It may sound odd, but it was delicious!
12. Try something else new as often as I can. I specifically want to do more things outdoors this spring and summer, like hiking.

There you have it. I think a lot of these things can occur together, like hiking contributing to fitness and weight loss, which is nice to think about. In fact, I will be working on #6, #11, and #12 this evening by attending a “Girls Night Out.” I found this event on Meetup, which I joined a while back, but never really used. For those who may not be familiar, Meetup is a site and app that allows people to form groups and create events for social and business networking purposes. Tonight, I’m joining a bunch of strangers for dinner at Mitchell’s Fish Market (a restaurant I oddly haven’t been to yet), then seeing “Fifty Shades Freed.” It should be…interesting. 


 

No comments: