Thursday, March 8, 2018

Dropkick Muphy's & Agnostic Front at Old National Centre



I’m doing a few posts to catch up on my past week of adventure!

Dropkick Murphy’s and Agnostic Front at the Old National Centre (Egyptian Room) - Wednesday, February 28th 

Driving two hours out of town during the workweek is never fun, but sometimes events come along and they’re worth that extra weariness you know you’ll feel the next day.

I was 18 years old back in 1998 when Agnostic Front invited Dropkick Murphy’s out on tour. Dropkick Murphy’s were relatively new to the scene back then, having formed around 1997, and Agnostic Front had recently reformed after a 5-year or so hiatus. I idolized their singer, Roger Miret, and I considered them one to be one of my favorite bands, so to be able to see them perform after believing they were done for good was exciting. Of course, I also fell in love with Dropkick Murphy’s on that tour.

Flash forward twenty years, and Dropkick have obviously grown in popularity and taken over the pop-punk/Celtic scene. I've seen them countless time since their early days, and I've never been disappointed. This tour, they returned the favor to Agnostic Front by inviting them out, and both bands were phenomenal. Agnostic Front hadn’t toured in this area for quite some time (aside from their show in Newport, KY last year), so it was great to see them play some older hits they don’t always do anymore, like New York Police State and Pauly the Dog. I think their set was actually longer at this show than when they headlined in Newport.

Dropkick Murphy’s also played a few songs I hadn’t heard on at least their past couple of tours, including a couple of sing-a-long favorites, Forever and Curse of a Fallen Soul. And of course, they played the customary hits, like the State of Massachusetts and Johnny, I hardly Knew Ya.

I was a little bit disappointed with the audience’s overall energy at this one, but I’m still so glad I went.

No comments: