Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Catching Up



I’ve done a few other fun activities in the past few days, but haven’t been reporting. I need to get back on it! On Monday, March 5th, I went to Al Rosa Villa, the club where Pantera’s Dimebag Darrell was killed (RIP), to see Septicflesh and Dark Funeral perform. I need to start getting some good pictures whenever I go somewhere. Sometimes I remember, and sometimes I don’t, and sometimes my phone camera just isn’t up to the job when the room is too dark and the ambiance from the fog machines are permeating the air. This was one of those times. I love when bands dress for the part, though, and none of the bands at this show disappointed, except for the local opener. I was not impressed with them. The second band was one called Thy Antichrist. They had the face and body paint down! The singer’s paint job was so good that we couldn’t decide, until we saw him up close later, if he was wearing some kind of shirt with a ton of tight, mini black straps. Dark Funeral were enjoyable. I know they are kind of a classic in the black metal scene. This was my 2nd time seeing Septicflesh, and they were awesome as usual. I love the symphonic metal elements.

While I had fun, I’m getting so tired of concerts being on weekdays (especially Monday’s) and in cities two hours or so away. Living in a city dominated by country music lovers really sucks! I can enjoy some country music, but I’d much rather see more rock and metal come through here. At least the summer will bring some of that to Riverbend.

On Wednesday, March 7th, I went to Jungle Jim’s in Eastgate where they were having an introduction to their new Wine guy, TJ. I thought it was fun. He started the night with a light champagne, and ended with a very good red, but I can’t for the life of me remember what they were called. I went to a second tasting on the 15th with their usual wine guy, Eric, and have since decided to purchase myself a wine journal for the future ones I attend. I think I’m going to start going every Thursday from now on, which is the normal night for it. I’m really interested in learning more about everything wine, beer, and spirits.

On Thursday, March 8, I went to the Aronoff Center downtown to see Neil Gaiman speak. Gaiman is a writer of fantasy and children’s books, and he has a great sense of humor. He started off the session by reading from an essay he had written for The Reading Agency, Why Our Future Depends on Libraries, Reading and Daydreaming. You can find an edited version of the essay here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/15/neil-gaiman-future-libraries-reading-daydreaming
He also did Q & A’s throughout with questions people had submitted beforehand and read pieces from some of his works, including Freya’s Unusual Wedding from Norse Gods. I’m really glad I went, even though I couldn’t even give away my extra ticket!

On Wednesday, March 14th, I went to “Reality Bites: 90’s Trivia” at Darkness Brewing in Bellevue, KY. Darkness makes some really good beer! On this night, I had their Grand Mimosa, which lives up to its name. You can have too many if you’re not careful because it tastes just like one. The trivia was a lot of fun, and at the end of the main rounds we were in 7th out of 23 teams, which isn’t too bad. We lost all our points in the final round, though, with a very random question about a commercial that premiered during the 90’s TV show, Herman’s Head. I actually watched that show, but more power to you if you remember commercials from the 90’s.

The past couple of weekends, I have also done some hiking at Shawnee Lookout in North Bend, OH, and East Fork State Park in Tate Township, OH. Both days had amazing weather, and I got some much needed exercise. Plus View:
I think I’m finally all caught up, but I’ll have more soon!

No comments: