Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Still Catching Up


So many things happened during my recent blogging hiatus that I don’t know where to start! Some of the things I remember the most: I attended Bill Burr’s stand-up show on April 7 at the Taft Theatre here in Cincinnati.

Prior to the show, I tried out Nada for the first time. It’s a Mexican Cantina just down the street from the theatre often rated as one of Cincinnati’s favorites. I had the Shrimp and Street Corn Tamal, and really enjoyed it. When I go back, I’m definitely going to try one of their specialty cocktails. The Yucatan and Chile-Mango sounded especially enticing. Bill Burr was funny as usual. I wouldn’t say it was his best material (compared to some of his specials I’ve seen), but I definitely found myself in stiches a few times during the show.

On May 11, I had my first Mammogram! During my annual women’s exam in April, the doctor noticed an area that slightly concerned her, so she recommended I schedule one to rule out anything nefarious. Forgive this TMI, but I have dense breast tissue, which apparently makes it more difficult to spot lumps, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to be safe.

The Mammogram was actually no big deal. I had heard they can hurt, but I barely found it uncomfortable. They also used some kind of ultrasound machine to take pictures since I have the dense tissue. Fortunately, the lump was what they refer to as benign fibrous growth that would only need to be treated if it becomes a problem (like enlarges and causes pain). They recommended follow-ups in 6 months and then 6 months after that, but after receiving my $525 bill (after insurance!), I’m not sure I want to go through with all that.

On May 21, I was finally able to see one of my favorite bands, Satyricon, perform live at the Alrosa Villa venue in Columbus, OH. They billed this tour as their last ever tour of the United States, and although I was a bit disappointed not to hear a couple of my favorite songs (specifically The Sign of the Trident and That Darkness Shall Be Eternal); they still put on an excellent show.

About half way through it, Satyr, Satyricon’s lead singer, dedicated their song, To Your Brethren in the Dark, to Dimebag Darrell, after explaining how Satyricon was supposed to have played at Alrosa the night after Dimebag’s murder. The whole show was bittersweet. RIP Dimebag and Vinnie Paul (who recently passed of a heart attack in his sleep). Brothers reunited. 😭

On June 6, I attended Slayer’s “final world tour” at Riverbend here in Cincinnati, and was able to mosh to War Ensemble for what will likely be my last time ever. The mosh pit was respectable enough that it made me miss the old days, and the other four bands were all entertaining: Testament, Anthrax, Behemoth, and Lamb of God.

I’ve seen all five bands before, but it was definitely an awesome line-up having them all together, so it attracted a good crowd. Behemoth played my favorite song, but I have to admit the ambiance wasn’t quite there. It just didn’t feel natural watching them perform during the daylight hours! Slayer was as good as always, though, and made sure to play all of their fan favorites. They also displayed a nice tribute to Jeff Hanneman near the end of their set.

In my last post, I mentioned my new, second job. I’ve spent most of the past couple of months trying to figure out my new work-life balance, especially when it comes to eating right, working out, socializing, and still managing to get some alone time (plus sleep). So far, I’ve only been doing 3 days/nights a week most weeks at Fifty West, so I’ve been able to keep some of my evenings free to either socialize or veg out in front of Hulu or Netflix. I really want to be more productive, though, and definitely value/prioritize my time better. Time management is a real skill! I’m sure I’ll discuss this and other related factors in future posts.

Finally, I took the trip to Toronto I mentioned in earlier posts from May 3-7. The eight hour drive was rather boring. We took the route from Cincinnati to Detroit, then on through Windsor and farm Canada. Windsor was actually a neat, little city with some older architecture that reminded me a lot of the Victorian style homes you can find throughout Northern Kentucky. The rest of that drive is all farm country, though. Not much to look at other than the occasional cow and a lot of wind turbines.

One thing about Toronto that stuck out the most was the similarity of the architecture throughout the city. Like most large cities these days, they were doing a lot of construction, but most of the buildings they were erecting were nearly identical. Overall, it was a very clean and diverse city, though,
and as a foodie, I really enjoyed the variety of options available. In some future posts, I will go into more detail about the places I went and include pictures. After all, I crossed off two bucket list items on this trip: the Hockey Hall of Fame and Niagara Falls!

No comments: