Wednesday, June 6, 2018

2018 Goals Part 5: Find a Job That Makes Me Feel Valued and Pays Me What I’m Worth Part 2


I recently applied for a new position at work. It was related to my current department, but still different enough to where I would be able to learn something new and keep things interesting. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the specific software experience they were hoping for in this role, so in the end they decided to go with someone who did (external, of course).

In this case, I can understand their reasoning. It was a payroll position, and we have recently grown at an incredible rate, so they wanted someone whom they felt could jump right in and know what they are doing without needing much in the way of training. My counterargument had been that an outside person is still going to have to learn the ways of the company, its people, and all its other nuances, but in the end, that specific payroll knowledge was more important.

I can’t say I’m surprised. I pretty much realized a long time ago that this job is most likely never going to give me the chance to fly. I hate to sound like a downer there, but this isn’t the first time I’ve been overlooked, and I’ve had multiple people tell me they thought I was an underutilized resource around there. Additionally, I’ve done everything they’ve ever asked of me, as well as taken on new things on my own (been proactive), like “leadership development” projects and classes and achieving my MBA, and I still can’t seem to convince anyone to give me a chance to try something different.

I’m certainly not perfect. I have room for improvement, as we all do. For example, I don’t always interview well, and I admit it’s hard for me to toot my own horn. Realistically, that’s kind of what you have to do sometimes in order to stand out. I do know, however, that I’m able to learn anything I set my mind to, and rather quickly, so it’s a shame when people can’t see the potential resources they have right in front of their noses.

I don’t think I’m ready to move on from this company completely yet. Job security is very important to me, as I’m still working through quite a bit of debt. I don’t think I’m ready to handle the stress that can come with the uncertainty of a new job. I think when I’m able to pay off all my credit card debt and my cash flow is better, I’ll feel a little more comfortable branching out.

In preparation, I’ve spent the past few months going over some ideas I’ve had for what I might want to do next. For instance, I’ve been writing down all the things I’m passionate about in any way, and how they might transform into career opportunities, especially when paired with my current skillset. Some of them will probably remain hobbies or I might determine I don’t want to pursue them at all, and that’s okay. I think just going through this process type of process is important.

I’ve also thought about what I might be willing to pursue if I tried to get a second job for a while to supplement my income. I’ve considered a bookstore I enjoy that’s close to my current job, as well as a job with the closest minor league baseball team, in Florence, KY. I actually got that job, but a more interesting opportunity became available before I was even able to get started.

One of the passions I wrote down during my self-rediscovery process, and one of my goals for the year, was to learn more about wine, beer, and spirits. I already knew I loved these things, but I wanted to start learning more about why a beer or wine tastes a certain way and how that is achieved during the brewing process.

In January, I attended a special brunch at a brewery close to my current apartment. I never realized how close it was to me. The brewery, Fifty West Brewing Pub, had recently began canning three of their flagship beers, and the brunch was in honor of this achievement. The special menu they created for the event was delicious, and the beers were good too.

When I officially decided to go the second job route, Fifty West was one of the first place to pop into my mind. I contacted them, and was able to interview right away. They hired me on the spot, even though I hadn’t served tables about 12 years and probably didn’t come across as the most confidant interviewee!

So far, it has been the best second job choice I could have made. Financially, I make as much in three or four nights per week as I probably would have made the entire month at a bookstore or other retail establishment. It’s also just plain fun. Sure, it gets stressful at times, but everyone works really well together, and I couldn’t have asked for better teammates. Plus, what better perk is there than being able to relax with a Summer Gose while I wrap up my side work?!

No comments: