Thursday, May 3, 2012

Where Have I been?

Right after I go on and on about my lofty expectations for this year in a long post, I disappear for over three months! Much of this was due to some financial snafus, namely that I was without cable/Internet until about a week ago. The toughest three months of my life, let me tell you! I have been busy, though, and I feel like my life is headed toward the right path for me, which is definitely a good thing.

So what's been going on with some of my New Year's plans? Well, I have been taking acting lessons for a few months now, and the more I do, the more I realize how much I long to get out of the business world and into more creative pursuits. I have also volunteered with a local theatre as a stagehand to get some "behind the scene" type experience as I train. Finally, I have started submitting my headshot to projects around the area, and I hope to become involved in a couple of productions soon to gain some real experience and have some fun!

The theatre I volunteer at is actually putting on a production in October that I long to be a part of, and the auditions are in about two weeks. I hope I can handle it! Fortunately, I will be attending an audition "boot camp" 3 days before my audition, so hopefully that will help me to get rid of some of my jitters and give my best performance. I will need to, since there are only 2 female roles in this particular play! I expect it to be competitive.

It's tough to be in a situation where I'm as old as I am and have absolutely no experience in acting. Not even a school play in high school or middle school. I am comfortable with being one of the first to make it after having no long-term background, though. I just hope I can convince other people of my passion. I'm definitely committed to this, even if it is something that is newer in my life. And it's not that I never wanted to pursue acting. I just never had the guts. I even lived in Hollywood for 2 years for pete's sake. I got pictures done and the whole thing, but I just couldn't bring myself to go through with auditioning back then. No confidence. That's something that age has given me. Sometimes if you want to do something you just have to go for it because you love it, and not even consider whether you might "make it" or not. I mean, of course the goal is to make it and reach some sort of status, but it is definitely a profession that you have to do because you love it. The pay off is inconsistent, questionable, and not guaranteed. It's not like many other straight-laced jobs where if you work long or hard enough, and have the proper skills, you will climb the ladder. Acting can be a crapshoot and it involves a lot of subjective opinions and luck. All you can do is prepare, train, increase your acting and other special skills and put yourself out there to work. My only wish is that I didn't have to keep this damn day job. :)

No comments: